Posted May 31st, 2014 by Mrs. Mobley
Dear MacArthur Community,
That certainly was one Fantastic Field Day on Friday! The weather, the volunteers, the games and of course plenty of spraying water made it one of the best field days ever. Many thanks to Mrs. Lenski and Mr. Johnson for all their planning and our Field Day volunteers for their time and energy. Our students were so happy having fun together and enjoying themselves after all their hard work this year.
We have much to celebrate. Some of the accomplishments of the year include:
· MacArthur students again scored in the top 10% of students in the nation in meeting their reading growth goal and in the top 1% in meeting their math goals.
· 50% of MacArthur students scored above the 85th percentile in math and exceed grade level expectations.
· Over 300 students participated in clubs at lunch or after school. They are learning new skills or helping serve our school community.
Please be sure to check your child’s report card envelope for information on the progress he or she made this year and lots of ideas for keeping up your child’s skills this summer. Students will bring home a math packet of practice activities and a list of great books to read this summer. We strongly encourage your support in making time for both reading, math and writing over the long break.
Please take a moment to read Superintendent DuRoss’ recent Daily Herald article in English or Spanish.
In this final issue of MacNews or las noticias de mac, you can learn about all PTA has accomplished this year and how you can contribute as a parent volunteer in the coming year. We are so thankful to our PTA and you, the volunteers, for your support. A special thanks to Kate Johnson, our PTA president, in the final days of her two year term. Mrs. Johnson has spent countless hours at MacArthur and in the community supporting committees and helping with every project imaginable. She has done this work with a giving heart dedicated to serving all the students and families of MacArthur. I know you will join me in expressing your appreciation when you see her at school and in the community.
I would also like to recognize several staff members who are leaving MacArthur for their important contributions to our students and school community.
· Mrs. Dietz will be heading to new adventures as an ELL teacher at Hanover Highlands School. We are grateful for her work with our Title I program as well as her dedication to students as a literacy teacher. We are glad we will still see her as a MacArthur parent!
· Mrs. Quiroga will be returning to Spain as this completes her third year in the teacher exchange program. We thank her for promoting a love of Spanish learning and fun throughout our school.
· We are hopeful to see Mrs. Woolsoncroft supporting students at another District 54 school this fall. She has been a wonderful asset to our kinder students this year and to our students in literacy throughout the grades.
· Mrs. Stinnett is heading to Colorado with her family. We are thankful for her taking over our third grade general education classroom as our student numbers expanded this fall.
Please remember that we have a full day of school on Thursday, June 5th for students in grades 1-6 and kinder students will also attend their a.m. or p.m. sessions that day. We will have our last Student Celebration Assemblies on Thursday at 9:15 and 1:00 pm to allow some extra time afterwards to say goodbye to our 6th grade friends.
I hope you all enjoy a summer full of health and great times with family and friends!